Read the set-up below and then read the humor monologue.
THE SET-UP (What was said and what happened during the meeting before the monologue was delivered)
1. Word of the day was ‘Happy’. The ah-um counter, who was Pierre, should count the number of times people use this word. But he forgot to count. When he said he didn’t count, everybody was disappointed since they used the word many times.
2. Floris’ speech topic was ‘Positive thinking’. He forgot his speech at many places. So he paused a bit to recall. And sometimes he looked at his notes to recall.
3. This was Floris’ 10th speech. He began his speech by saying ‘Thank you for listening to me for the 10th time in a row’.
4. I gave a prepared speech. I also gave an impromptu speech. Then I finally I gave this humor speech.
5. Last meeting’s theme was ‘Change’.
6. The hall where we normally meet was booked for some other function. So, we held our meeting in an empty restaurant in the same campus.
7. Normally in Toastmasters, we use sandwich method for evaluating speeches. i.e. first say what was good about the speech, then what could be better, then again what was good about the speech. Chris and Floris stressed this sandwich method of evaluation a lot.
8. Richard told that he knew his purpose of life when he was 3 years old. To invent lot of things.
9. There were dark clouds outside.
The Humor Monologue
1. I first gave prepared speech. Then impromptu speech. Now humor speech. Thanks for listening to me 3 times in a row. Today itself.
2. I knew my purpose of life when I was 1 day old. To eat.
3. I joined Toastmasters because someone told that they use sandwich method.
4. Last meeting’s theme was ‘Change’. And wow. What a change!! We are in a completely different location.
5. I am not sure if Floris’ speech topic is ‘Positive thinking’ or… just ‘Thinking’.
6. Floris and Chris stressed a lot on the sandwich method. Maybe that’s why we are here in a restaurant.
7. Look at the clouds outside. It’s dark. What it means is that earth is getting ready for ‘ice bucket challenge’.
8. Tonight, here, all the speakers got very good tips from the evaluators. But, here, during the day time, it’s the waitresses who get tips.
9. Pierre didn’t count word of the day for many people. They are not ‘Happy’.