Humor Monologue delivered at Toastmasters meeting – July 27, 2016

Here is another Observational Humor monologue which was presented at the end of a Toastmasters meeting. First you’ll be able to read the set-up for each joke. Then I’ll share the joke. Next I’ll briefly comment on what made the joke work. Although the examples of Observational Humor are in the context of a Toastmasters meeting, the skills apply just the same to any meeting you might be attending. It’s a useful skill to develop. When you can drop in an observational line into any presentation it makes the content of your whole talk feel fresh and original.

THE SET-UP (What happened and what was said during the meeting before the monologue was presented)
1. Ah-um counter said that Winslow, while telling “I”, tend to repeat it, like “I..I..I”. Winslow jokingly said, “That’s because I like myself.”

2. Floris said that a person with low skills and low challenges will always be watching TV.

3. Word of the day was “inculcate”. Chris mispronounced that as “incalculate” and “incultivate” several times.

4. One of the table topics was “Which is the safest country in the world?”

5. Justina was called to speak on the table topic “How would you beat procrastination?”. Justina said that she was called to speak on the same table topic one year ago.

6. One speaker said that 81% people do not like their work.

7. Maha said that she hasn’t been on holidays for 7 years. She also said that she has a 24-yr-old son, but she herself looks like she’s in her late 20’s.

8. Ana asked us to get out of our comfort zone.

9. Andrei said that he gave up TV to increase his productivity.

10. Winslow asked Andrei to end his speech on a high note.

The Humor Monologue
1. Good evening Toastmasters…. oh wait… [I move one step ahead, turn my head, and look back] That… is my conmfort zone.
(Visual gag. Good opener)

2. Good evening I, I, and I. I like myself.
(Callback to Winslow’s I, I, I. I was looking for a place to insert this triplet. I found this to be a perfect place, and it worked.)

3. Chris pronounced the word of the day as “incalculate” and “incultivate” several times. Chris, the right pronunciation is “incorporate”.
(Make the mistake yourself. Superiority theory.)

4. I was once talking over phone, and my friend Kate asked me what I was doing. I said, I am “IN CALL KATE”.
(Wordplay on the word of the day “inculcate”. Half of the audience got this and laughed.)

5. I am not sure what a person who has low skills, low challenge, and gave up TV would do.
(Linking two different facts and making that as a good observation.)

6. For me, any place in the universe is safe… except my house.. where my wife is.
(Self deprecation – that I am a coward and I get beaten by my wife. I’ve been doing series of wife jokes ever since I got married. And continuing with this one too.)

7. 81% people have voted that they do not like their work. The rest 19% were on vacation.
(Implied punchline – that nobody is happy with their work.)

8. How would you beat procrastination? Justina was called to speak on this topic one year ago. She was given the same topic today because she still hasn’t answered that question.
(Implying that Justina is a procrastinator. Good response.)

9. Maha hasn’t been on holidays for 7 years. Maha, you are the biggest procrastinator ever.
(Redefining something. How can you give a new meaning to “not being on holidays for 7 years?” and came up with this idea that she is just procrastinating.)

10. When it was 5 yrs, she got green signal, when it was 6, she got amber signal, and now it’s 7, she’s getting red signal.
(Adapting Toastmasters habit of showing green, amber, and red signals at 5, 6, 7 mins of speech. Good response.)

11. Maha, you now have 30 days to finalize your vacation.
(Topper to the last joke. Usually at the end of 7 mins, a speaker will have 30 secs to wrap up his speech.)

12. Maha has a 24-yr-old son? Can you believe it? Maha, you’re a procrastinator at aging too.
(Again redefinition. Looking at Maha’s young appearance from a different angle, and gave a new definition that she is procrastinating at aging too. Complementing the audience. Good response.)

13. OOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO. I’m ending on high note.
(Taking the literal meaning of “end on a high note.” Good closer.)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: