Today we had our Area contest. I competed in the Humorous Speech Contest. I also presented Observational Humor Monologue at the end of the contest. We’ll tell you what was said and what happened during the contest before the monologue was presented.
THE SET-UP. We will give you enough background to help you understand the jokes.
1. The table topic for the contest was “Have you booked your ticket to Madrid (Spain) for the District Contest?”
2. Leo, one of the contestants, said that he likes Vincent van Gogh very much (He was wearing Vincent van Gogh t-shirt too). He said that Vincent was never to Spain. So he’s flying to the District Contest wearing that t-shirt, and implicitly it’ll mean Vincent is in Madrid. Leo participated in Dutch Table-topics contest too. In that speech too, he developed a speech about Vincent and linked that to the table topic. Both were like prepared speeches with a minor link to the actual table topic. Kind of cheating.
3. A speaker talked about how 1st class and 2nd class chicken peck on the neck of the lowest class chicken.
The Humor Monologue
1. Dear Toastmasters, guests, and Vincent van Gogh.
(Simple callback to Leo telling irrelevant stories about Vincent van Gogh)
2. The first-place winner and the second-place winner will peck on the neck of the third-place winner.
(Absurd. Silly. Callback to chicken pecking.)
3. Next week, I’m taking my wife to America. I mean I’ll just be wearing her clothes.
(Absurd – wearing women’s dresses. And callback to Leo wearing Vincent van Gogh t-shirt and implying he was taking Vincent to Spain.)
4. [I wrote the words ‘Wife’ and ‘Spain’ on the white board] [looked at the audience]
[Then I added an apostrophe] Wife’s pain.
(Word play. Huge laughter.)
5. Leo was flying to Madrid. The air hostess said to him, “Excuse me sir, can you take off your t-shirt?” Leo was happy that a pretty girl was asking him to take off his clothes, he asked her, “Why me?” For which the air hostess replied, “Two persons can’t fly with one ticket.”
(Absurdity. Assuming that t-shirt is another person according to Leo’s story, and developing that story on a plane. Good laughter)